Discover the reason why your dog will not drink water!
It is not uncommon that sometimes our dogs just drink. In principle, their absence of thirst should not worry us and they should only skip alarms when we detect in our animal unequivocal signs of dehydration.
The truth is that a lack of water can lead to liver and kidney problems. Also intestinal problems such as diarrhea or vomiting can be both the cause and the consequence of this problem.
Symptoms of a dehydrated dog
Do not worry. In fact, it is not necessary to be a veterinarian to know if our dog has symptoms of dehydration. Therefore, if you suspect that you are dehydrated, examine the following aspects:
- Sunken eyes: This is a clear sign that something is wrong with our dog.
- The elasticity of the skin: If we pull the skin and see that it takes time to return to its position, we can affirm that there is dehydration.
- The gums: Another point to which we can review are the gums. Thus, if they have lost their usual pink color and appear discolored and with low humidity, the dog is probably accusing the lack of water.
- The breath will be accelerated.
Anyway, we should know that physical activity, food and, of course, the ambient temperature will determine your water needs. However, it is estimated that on average a dog needs to drink 60 milliliters of water for every kilo of weight. That is, if our dog weighs 10 kilos, he should drink about half a liter of water daily.
In these conditions, dogs may have problems to get their bearings and that they end up lost, so it is advisable to solve this setback with a GPS that will always inform us of their whereabouts. In this way, we will prevent your dehydration from having a fatal outcome.
Diarrhea in the dog
Water is vital in a dog and its health could be impaired if its intake is insufficient. Thus, one of these may be diarrhea that can also accelerate dehydration of the animal.
The truth is that there are many reasons that can motivate an episode of diarrhea in the dog such as spoiled food, bacteria and intestinal worms, among others. Even simply replacing the usual food with a home cooking can trigger diarrhea.
A special mention deserves milk since some owners choose to offer it to their dogs. In this sense, we must know when they become adults, most dogs develop a lactose intolerance. Therefore, they lose the enzymes that allow them to digest milk and their intake causes diarrhea and vomiting.
Although you suffer from diarrhea and it is advisable to fast, this recommendation does not affect liquids that should not be missed. Also dogs that have just undergone surgery should be properly hydrated for recovery. But how do we do it? Do not pull your hair, we have a handful of good ideas:
- Mix the water with the feed.
- Always put a bowl of water next to the food.
- Make sure the container is clean. This is basic, but we don't always do it.
- Place it in a shaded place and away from odors.
- Add flavor to the water. In this sense, there are aromas and flavors that we can add to increase its attractiveness. Also, did you know that drinks for dogs with different flavors are sold?
- All dogs love hoses and fountains. Such is his passion that dog drinkers are sold by emulating a small fountain that will stimulate their desire to drink and cool off.
- Locate water bowls in several places in the house, especially if they are elderly dogs. Thus, he will overcome his laziness and drink, for he has it very close.
- You can also add ice cubes if you know that you will like it better. You will know that veterinarians have banished the old belief that giving the dog cold water could be harmful. You can also offer them directly, as many love to eat them with licks.
- Always carry water with you. In this way, you will always have it available for when you are thirsty.
- Prepare a tasty broth and give it to him.
If despite all our attempts, the dog continues to resist testing the water we offer repeatedly, we recommend that you go to a veterinarian to examine the health of your dog because we can face a more serious problem.
How much water should a dog drink?
The water not only quenches your dog's thirst and helps him regain his strength on a hot day or after a day of exercise, he is also responsible for transporting toxins out of the body of the dog, while allowing him to regulate the temperature from his body. Hence the importance of its intake and how dangerous it can be if your dog does not want to drink water.
To know if your dog is ingesting or not enough water, you first need to know what are the appropriate amounts required by the body of the dogs. However, this is not something that can be calculated exactly, since It will depend on the breed and size of your dog, your physical activity, climatic changes and the food you provide.
Small-breed dogs and those that are not very active generally eat less water, but it is clear that the amounts increase if it is summer, for example, or if the feed they consume is very salty.
Although it is not possible to perform an accurate calculation, a small or medium dog, who plays outside the home, drinks water about 2 or 3 times a day, which represents about 350 milliliters. On the other hand, a large breed dog doubles this amount, distributing the intake at different times throughout the day.
If you go for a run with your dog, he may need a break every 10 minutes during the exercise to drink water, which represents an extra milliliters. The dogs that have diarrhea or vomiting, in addition to the dogs that are breastfeeding, also drink more water than usual. For more information, don't miss the following article: "How much water does a dog need to drink?"
How to know if your dog ingests enough water?
If you suspect that your dog does not drink water properly and you do not know how to check this assumption, we give you some quick tips to know if you are dehydrated:
- Examine your skin. Place your fingers on the skin between your shoulder blades and pinch slightly. Normally, the skin returns to its fast place, if not, it means that your dog is dehydrated.
- Check your gums. Press any area of the dog's gums with your finger, it should return to its original shape and recover the pink color in a few seconds.
- Observe their behavior. The lack of water or dehydration, in general, is accompanied by other symptoms such as decay, excessive tiredness, concentrated urine, dry skin, breathing problems and lack of appetite.
- Take him for a walk. Any dog will go to his bowl of water after a while of walking, so if this does not happen you should worry.
Dehydration puts your dog's life at risk at breakneck speed, so if suddenly stop drinking water for 24 hours, don't wait any longer and go to the vet. In addition, if you add to this situation any condition that your dog already had, such as suffering from diabetes, finding breastfeeding, vomiting or diarrhea, or if it is an old dog, the risk to his life increases considerably.
Why doesn't your dog want to drink water?
There are several reasons that cause your dog to reject water, so here we present the most frequent ones. Knowing what causes the problem is the first step in solving it:
Stress is one of the worst enemies of the dog, because thanks to it many symptoms and health problems can be unleashed that, if left unattended, easily increase its severity.
There are many reasons that cause stress or anxiety in a pet dog: death or distancing from a family member to whom the dog was attached, a move, the arrival of another pet or a baby, sudden changes in its routine, changes in food, tense atmosphere in the home, among many others.
Some diseases of viral origin include among their symptoms the absence of thirst. Among them it is possible to mention rage, distemper orleptospirosis, among other. Obviously all these conditions are accompanied by other signs, so it is important to stay tuned for any changes in your dog's behavior.
One of the greatest dangers of this absence of thirst is dehydration, as the canine organism decomposes in a few hours before the lack of water, endangering the dog's life.
The discomforts that characterize dental diseases often cause the dog to stop not only drinking water but also eating, so as to avoid the pain and discomfort caused by performing any activity that involves his teeth or mouth movement .
These types of problems go from a bacterial infection to a damaged tooth. Only the veterinarian will be able to provide an accurate diagnosis.
Anyone with a dog at home knows how prone they are to bite everything they find in its path, especially if they have not been trained properly and if they do not have toys that serve as an adequate stimulus.
Biting shoes, destroying a ball, nibbling on table legs, plastic or whatever happens to your dog can cause a piece to get stuck between your teeth, gums, or even stuck to the walls of your mouth, and that the dog stops drinking water to avoid the discomfort that this causes. Also, if your furry companion has not yet reached adulthood, you wonder why your puppy does not want to drink water and, in addition, bites everything he finds, this is probably the answer.
They don't take him out for a walk
If this is the reason why your dog does not want to drink water, then it is a wake-up call for you. Clearly, the more water you drink the more times you will need to go to the bathroom. This fact, of course, should not under any circumstances be a reason to limit your dog's water supply.
On the other hand, when the dog is used to being taken for a walk to do his needs but they take a long time to do so, it is possible that avoid drinking water if you know you should endure Until you get home.
All these reasons will be accompanied by other symptoms, such as fatigue, lack of appetite, lack of elasticity in the skin and a certain level of hostility, which the dog will demonstrate trying to be alone.
Why doesn't my dog drink or eat?
When the lack of appetite in the water adds to the dog's lack of appetite, it is not uncommon for you to despair. Dogs love food, so when they stop feeding it is time to turn on the alarms.
The reasons why your dog does not want to drink water or eat are varied. Among them it is possible to mention hestress, especially if this is caused by a change in the routine of the home, which generates anxiety in the dog. Similarly, the sadness and thenervousnessRegardless of their causes, they can plunge the dog into a level of apathy that makes him lose interest in food.
It is also possible that the dog he doesn't like his food or have got bored of it, especially if you usually serve the same thing. Most feedstuffs have a slightly salty taste, so it is not strange that if the dog has stopped eating it does not feel the need to drink water either.
Finally, the same diseases that cause the absence of thirst cause loss of appetite, especially if they include mouth discomfort (dental diseases, objects caught in the denture, etc.), or have to do with failures in the functioning of the kidneys or liver.
How to make your dog drink water?
As we said, dehydration caused by the refusal to drink water will affect your dog's health quickly if you don't do something on time. Therefore, we point out some recommendations to help you in these cases:
- Keep your dog's bowl with clean fresh water all the time. Remember to change the water at least twice a day, check that there is no food or other waste and wash the container every time you renew its contents.
- Never leave the bowl of water in the sun, prefer an ambient temperature.
- Locates several bowls in different places of the home but always in the same places, so the dog will know where to look for them and can drink water at any time he wants.
- Some dogs don't feel motivated with the way the water looks in the bowl. If this is your case, consider the possibility of acquire a water source for dogs. Before doing so, advise yourself well on the operation and maintenance of the model to choose.
- Try to moisten dry food a little of the dog with water, or even with a broth prepared with beef or chicken, without salt or condiments.
- If you refuse to drink, try offering ice cubes, many like to lick them.
- When you take it for a walk, always carry a bottle of water and a dog bowl with you, remember to take breaks during the walk to hydrate it.
If after practicing all these rabbits the dog still does not want to drink water, go to the veterinarian immediately.
If you want to read more articles similar to Why doesn't my dog drink water?, we recommend that you enter our Basic Care section.
Give it an ice cube to hydrate it
No, it is no madness 🙂, although you can only if you have a disease that affects your hydration such as diarrhea, vomiting or fever, and only if it is very hot. For the rest of the year, it is better to give water to which you will have added a small spoonful of sugar. The sweet smell will attract you, and most likely, he ends up drinking.
There are many diseases that can cause a dog to lose interest in water. Some of them, such as distemper or parvovirus, can be very dangerous for him. Do not hesitate to take him to the specialist if you notice that he is apathetic or if you suspect he may have a health problem.
My dog does not drink or eat and is sad
One of the main reasons why your dog does not even want to approach his drinking fountain is because he is sad. The reasons for his sadness are varied, but the main one is to feel that you don't do the same case before. If there have been changes in your life that have affected the way and frequency of playing with him, if you are sad yourself or if you spend less time with him, your mood may have collapsed and you have decided to stop eating and drinking .
One solution to both problems is to be at your side when you put the food, choose a premium premium wet recipe and accompany you while chewing. A higher quality diet with good nutrients will help you regain your appetite, especially if you serve it warm, as its smell will motivate you to eat. If you do not drink, pour a little water to your ranch and you will add extra hydration.
How to make my dog drink water?
In addition to feeding him food with a little liquid or cans of wet food, you have to make sure that what is in your drinking fountain is fresh and that the container is perfectly clean. Sometimes, because of dirt problems, your colleague doesn't even want to approach him, this being the problem and not the water itself that he doesn't drink.
Extend your concern for cleanliness also to the area where you sleep and live, but what if everything is clean? Then the question may be in the water itself. If you have access to a park near your home where you know that there is clean running water, take your hairy there. If you drink from there, you will already know that the problem is the drinking fountain, your house or that there is a drink does not convince you.
How much water does a dog have to drink?
The way to know how much water a dog needs depends on the weight of the animal, whether it does a lot of sport or how much it eats. The best way to know if you drink enough is to check your skin. As happens to people, if it has elastic skin and does not look dry, you will know that everything is going well.
If you want to calculate it by weight, your colleague has to drink between sixty and seventy milliliters of water for every kilo he has. If you are drinking less than this, or you are not drinking, the best thing you can do is use our advice. If they do not work for you, consult one of our online veterinarians, as you may be suffering from a serious illness.
My dog does not drink or eat and tremble
There are certain serious diseases that manifest with this symptom, among others. Follow the advice we have given you only in case your colleague does not tremble, vomit or have diarrhea. If, in addition to not drinking, you detect blood in your stool or vomiting of an abnormal color, get in your car and go out by your veterinarian, because you may be facing a case of gastric torsion or parvovirus.
These two diseases require that you act as soon as possible to be able to give you the necessary treatment for your dog, as they can be fatal.
In case that by applying our advice you are not able to drink again, ask our specialists. We have expert ethologists in canine behavior that will give you the tricks you need to drink again with a smile on your lips.
Have you been left with doubts? Ask our veterinarians: